Project Overview

I wanted to solve a problem for fine artists using a technology they already had in their hands. Through a series of interviews and user testing, the Studio app was born. The final product allows artists to take photos of works in progress, share them with curators and colleagues, and get the feedback they need to keep going. 


User Interviews and Research

I visited several artist studios to ask them about their work habits, how they began as an artist, what problems they face in the studio and how they use technology in their practice. 

I collected all of their feedback to create an affinity diagram which helped me to make some interesting connections. I discovered that all of my artists were encouraged in the early stages, pushing them forward. This need never went away, but the arenas to receive feedback became less frequent. I also discovered that while painters wanted to show their work, they didn't want to spend time updating their website or managing a portfolio for galleries. 


Persona Creation

Whenever there was a decision to be made, I checked with my most important design team member, Painter Pat. This persona was synthesized from my observations and interviews, and served as a reminder of the needs and goals of my users.


Goal Feature Matrix

The interviews informed what the main goals of my users were and what features would be most helpful to them. This matrix helped me to narrow down and address the most important needs of my users. 

Prototyping and Testing

I began testing user flows with paper prototypes. Once I felt I had a design I liked, I built the wireframes in Axure. After 2 rounds of prototypes and user testing, I ended with a design that users could guide themselves through without hangups. 


Final Wireframes/User Flows

Below are the finished user flows for adding and sharing work now ready for development. 



Finally, I cleaned up the design and made specs for development.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 3.50.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 11.52.58 AM.png

This project was made in a class at General Assembly, under the direction of Lauren Bugeja, a lead UX designer at Google.